Sunday, June 24, 2007

My Humble Efforts

So, as I'm sure you can guess from the title, this is about a fatbloke i.e. me and home brewing.

As I'm now in my early 40's, I'm not so much of a beer drinker (as I've got older, I've discovered that I can't drink anymore than 2 or 3 pints before experiencing the over-riding need to piss - gone are the days of the 10 to 12 pint bladder capacity).

I'm lucky enough to live not too far from Middle Farm and their excellent collection of ciders and perrys. Actually they also do a few other types of "drink", one of which, has become my main interest for home brewing. That'd be Mead, also known as Honey Wine. Yup, you've guessed it, wine made from honey.

During the learning process, I've discovered a few other types of home brew that I'd like to try as well as the mead. It's just that mead "rings bells" because it's not frequently produced or drunk, but has a considerable history behind it.

It's not that difficult to make, plus the main fermentation part of the making doesn't take that long, but it really needs to be "aged" i.e. "laid down" for some considerable time (a year +, according to most of the info I've found about it, though it seems that some recipes might be drinkable sooner than that).

Ok, I'm gonna leave it at that for the moment, as I still have some more setting up for this blog before I'm happy with it.

No comments: