Saturday, December 01, 2007

Ginger Wine!

Well I've just bottled my "extreme" ginger wine.

It's not brilliant, but it's drinkable. It's hotter than "Stones" or other commercially made ginger wines that I've tasted, but despite the addition of nearly half a kilo of lactose (non-fermentable milk sugar) too "back sweeten", it's still not that sweet.

As I say, it's drinkable.

I've also racked the "Barshack Ginger Mead" (with additional fruit) that I made last weekend, off the fruit pulp. So now it just needs about 8 weeks of secondary fermentation - then I'll decide if I'm gonna bottle it (the recipe if for sparkling) or age it in bulk (preferred option as I don't have a corking machine for champagne corks or any champagne type bottles - I'd have to use beer bottles and crown caps).

I also racked the "Winter Mead" out of the plastic water cooler bottle it was in, into glass 1 gallon jars (demijohns), I can't remember why I decided to do that.

Oh and I was intending to proceed with my "Tinned Strawberry", as if it was a stuck ferment, because it seemed to have stopped doing anything, but as it was sitting in the kitchen awaiting some attention, it started showing some signs of life, so I've just topped it off with a sugar/water mix. And I turned up the temperature on the radiator in the dining room as I'm thinking along the lines that it just wasn't warm enough and the cold had convinced the yeast that it didn't want to play.

I'll leave it a couple of days and see how it's getting on.

TTFN

No comments: