Saturday, October 18, 2008

My idea for "crimbo presents"!

I've been thinking about what I was going to bottle up to give to the family for their christmas presents (as I've got plenty of mead that should have aged enough by now).

Now I won't bore you with how I got my hands on the base alcohol - it took some getting, but the idea came when I found this site and a little further digging to find this site for the flavouring.

I've not actually tried it before, myself. Though I've tried other aniseed drinks like Pastis, Ricard and of course, Pernod. So when I found those sites I decided that having read a lot about Absinthe, I should really try some. So as it's quite expensive (if you can find it for sale) I decided that I must be able to make some.

I can't report on what it actually tastes like yet, because after digging around the net, I find that it seems that when you make some of these "flavoured vodka spirits", it can take a couple of days for the flavour to develop. I haven't the faintest idea of why, but having made a few of them before, it does seem that that's correct.

I don't know whether I'll be able to resist not tasting it today - either way, I'll post about what it tastes like.

Oh and despite the "how to" link showing it as "easily done", the sugar takes longer to dissolve into the spirit then they seem to suggest.

TTFN!

No comments: