Sunday, May 02, 2010

update 2/5/10

Ok, so all of the 3 batches of must prep'd yesterday have cooled to room temperature.

I've just checked the starting gravities and all 3 are showing about the 1.100 mark i.e. the Marlene Summer Blossom being the same as the Italian Chestnut and the Mexican Clear, which suggests that it's got a higher percentage water than the other two - whether thats extra water added during blending or not, I can't say.

I'm currently in the middle of rehydrating the yeasts. That's with about 100mls of water, 1 teaspoon of GoFerm and the yeast. The pack of the K1V says (as usual) that it's supposed to be 50mls of water at 40 to 43 degrees C. I've made it a bit cooler, about 35 degree's C before mixing in the GoFerm, then adding the yeasts to the glasses. It's also supposed to be like that for no longer than 15 minutes but I'm not so fussed about that. It's always worked Ok for me in the past if I've left it for longer, especially when rehydrating with GoFerm as well as just water.

Hell, I could have made yeast starters, but I haven't found that necessary.

No comments: