Sunday, July 04, 2010

More "treasure".......

Ha ha! The picture is what I'd given up as a bad job.

What is it? It's 14 kilo's of finest Polish buckwheat honey.

It's been a long time coming.

One of the chaps over at Gotmead was kind enough to offer to get some for me as it's proving damn near impossible to obtain any in the UK for anything that might resemble a reasonable price. Marek sorted the order for me and then I had to arrange with Sebastian, a former work colleague, so that Marek could get it sent to Sebastians home in Poland, who in turn would then bring it back with him on return from one of his regular visits to his family. I can't put into words how grateful I am to both of them for their assistance in getting this to me.

I'm still of 2 minds as to what I'll actually turn it into. Though I'm thinking along the lines of a gallon batch of a straight traditional mead, plus a batch of one of the "easier" Polish style meads.

Called "Czwórniak", it's basically 1 part honey to 3 parts water. With that ratio or honey/water, I'd guess that it would still work out as quite a high gravity, so I'll have to measure it out and then see how it's likely to measure up. There'd be no point in mixing it up and then hoping that it will work out Ok. It could easily end up killing the yeast if it's too high a gravity.


At this point, I'm not even sure how it'll work out. I've had a read around about meads like this and there's both EU and Polish Government regulations on how it should be made, so I'd like to stick to the rules if possible, but I might have to divert some to get it to work - I'll see and post back on the subject........

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Fatbloke,
in my opinion Czwórniak is rather watery,better try to make a Trójniak.If you think that such a gravity will kill your yeast, start from 26Blg, ferment to 0, and than backsweet to about 8Blg.
Marek