Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Banana Mead - Part 3

I left this batch for about 36 hours, stirring a number of times to dissipate the sulphites. Then I rehydrated the yeast with GoFerm, then before I pitched the yeast, I gave it another good stir to aerate the must (actually I sanitised the liquidiser and blitzed a pint or so) and pitched the yeast.

Ok thinks me, looking good as I could see a few bubbles in the airlock after about 12 hours i.e. as far as I could tell, the lag phase was over, so I give it another stirr to aerate it and added 2 teaspoons of FermaidK and a teaspoon of DAP (di-ammonium phospate).

The next day......bugger all. No sign of bubbles in the airlock and no apparent drop in gravity.

Looked this morning and there did seem to be some sign of bubbles in the airlock, so I can only presume that I didn't leave the must long enough for the sulphites to dissipate.....

Should I just put a clean cloth over the top of the fermenter instead of an airlock ? Don't know. I prefer to use an air lock as it does show indications of something going on.

I'll have to wait and see when I get home tonight, to make sure that I wasn't imagining things. I'll give it a stir anyway.......

No comments: