Saturday, February 06, 2010

More "Rubbish" wine......

So, despite my relative pleasure at learning that the Chenin Blanc concentrate is good for back sweetening, I'm absolutely fucking stumped as to what else I might be doing wrong.........

On top of the 8 gallons I checked last week, to find that about half of it is worth keeping, this weekend, I've just worked my way through 17 gallons of different fruit wines only to find that 6.5 gallons of it are worth keeping for either bottling, or further modification (back sweetening etc). The other 10.5 gallons will go the way of the rest of it.....

I don't know what it is that I'm doing wrong... I don't seem to ever using sub-standard ingredients. I haven't had a stuck fermentation for a long time i.e. it all seems to "finish" as expected.

It's just that it tastes, for the main part, bloody horrible.

I can't fathom out, whether it's to do with unrealistic expectations, or whether it's false memories of how the "country wines" of yester-year tasted ???

Gales, the brewery in Horndean (north of Portsmouth), used to make a range of country wines and my memories of those were basically fruit flavoured cordials but with an alcohol content.

My fruit/country wines taste fuck all like that....

I think my hygiene processes are ok. I think my technique is Ok (all the wines are basically made in the same way - just the variation of ingredients). I'm no expert, but I don't think that any of the ingredients I've tried are bad, they might not be "top quality" (a few of the flavours/recipes have been "opportunistic"....), but they certainly aren't rubbish......

Fuck, fuck, fuck! What is it that I'm doing wrong..........

No comments: