Friday, May 20, 2011

Clearing out the cupboard 2......

Well would you credit it eh ? I did just that i.e. chucked it in the bucket (including sprinkling the yeast on top) and waited to see if it would do anything.

The "lag phase" was about 2 days and then I heard it "bloop", so that evening I gave it a good stir, well actually I just sprayed the electric whisk with sanitiser and gave it a bloody good spin.

Yesterday evening, I decided to give it a stir (spoon this time) and give it a check. It measured up at 1.090, a 40 point drop in about 3 days. So this morning I measured out about 1 teaspoon of FermaidK and a half teaspoon of DAP, then gave it a good stir to de-gas it, then tipped the nutrient in while still stirring.

I could see the foam erupting from the ferment, though not enough to worry about. So it's time to leave it alone.

The only thing I'm not really sure of, it whether to leave the fruit in there, or whether I should strain most of the pulp out. After all, it's peeled, broken segments of mandarin from a tin. So apart from the actual fruit, there's nothing in there to cause the pulp to impart any off flavours.....

Ok, I've convinced myself, I'll leave it alone and strain the pulp when it's finished.


No comments: