Sunday, May 15, 2011

Clearing out the cupboard.....

I was tidying some stuff this morning (shock, horror) only to find that one of the tins of broken mandarin segments had blown.
After I'd cleared up the mess, it occurred to me that I should've used the damn things up by now. They're only about 3 years out of date.
So a quick dig round and I found about a kilo of "Mexican clear honey" and a tin of white grape concentrate.
The picture of the must in the bucket, is the above ingredients, plus a couple of teaspoon of FermaidK and a teaspoon of tannin.
I'm not expecting much from this brew, its just a "sling it in the bucket and see" mix. I didn't bother rehydrating the yeast, I just put some D21 in it and airlock the bucket.
I've made it up to about 6 litres as there'll be a good amount of the mandarin Orange pulp to strain out. The starting gravity is quite high, at 1.130 but I intend giving it a stir at least once a day until it hits the 1/3rd sugar break.
If it ferments dry, then fine, though I'd prefer it to have a final gravity of about 1.010
I'll have to wait and see

No comments: